[2022 Updated] Best Benchtop Thickness Planers
Benchtop Thickness planers are very helpful in removing old surface from wood that are worn out or needs to be removed.
It can also be used to smoothen out rough surfaces of the wood which makes the wood looks beautiful.
Here in this article we have chosen 4 Benchtop planers that are best in the market and provide value.
List of Best Benchtop Thickness Planers 2022
- DEWALT 13-Inch Thickness Planer – Three Knife, Two speed, DW735X model
- Makita 2012NB 12-Inch Planer with Interna-Lok Automated Head Clamp
- CRAFTSMAN Benchtop Planer, 15-Amp (CMEW320)
- PORTER-CABLE Thickness Planer, 12-Inch (PC305TP)
Here are the detailed specifications of each product.
1. DEWALT 13-Inch Thickness Planer – Three Knife, Two speed, DW735X model
The DeWALT 13 Inch Benchtop thickness planer is a great tool to have.
This Two Speed Thickness planer has a powerful motor of 15 Amps that have 20,000 RPM(10,000 RPM cutter head speed) that makes it easy to cut.
Due to the 3 Knife cutter head, it makes the knife changing easier.
The included feature of two-speed gear box makes it possible for users to adjust feed speed to optimizing cuts per inch at 96 or 179 CPI.
This planer includes a fan-assisted chip ejection system that vacuums the chips off of the cutter-head and removes them out of the machine.
This thickness planer has a 19-3/4″ cast aluminum base which makes it rigid.
The automatic carriage lock reduces the movement that causes snipe without the need for manual engagement by the user.
It also has a material removal gauge and extra-large thickness scale that deliver accurate cuts with every pass.
The extra-large turret depth stop allows users to return to the most frequently used thicknesses with ease.
Includes infeed and outfeed tables and an extra set of knives.
There is also another model DW735 they both are almost the same but the difference is that this model does not include an in-feed and out-feed table and an extra set of knives.
Overall this is a great Thickness Planer to have and is of good quality and this makes it on No. 1 of our list.
Note: If you are looking for a little less price then this Brand also sells DEWALT Benchtop Planer, Single Speed, 15-Amp, 12-1/2-Inch (DW734). Specs are the same as DW735 and DW735X models and the quality is great too.
- 13″ Planer Corded
- 15 Amp motor which produces 20,000 RPM (10,000 rpm cutter-head speed)
- Max Depth of Cut: 1/8 Inch
- Depth Capacity: 6 Inch
- Width capacity: 13-Inch
- 19-3/4″ Cast Aluminum base
- Planer dimensions: 24” L x 22” W x 18” H
- Two-speed gearbox to optimize cuts per inch at 96 or 179 CPI
- Automatic carriage lock
- Hardly any.
2. Makita 2012NB 12-Inch Planer with Interna-Lok Automated Head Clamp
This Makita 2012NB Benchtop 120 Volt Planer is also a great addition to our list.
This Planer is lightweight as compared to other models so this makes it easy to move and it is powerful enough to get the job done.
The 15 AMP motor produces 8500 RPM.
This benchtop planer is 12” wide and can do 1/8” deep and 6-3/32” thick.
The machine is quiet as compared to other benchtop planers and produces 83 dB claimed by the manufacturer.
The 2012NB has a feed rate of 28 feet-per-minute, with adjustable cutting depth settings.
Also, this benchtop planer has a feature of Interna-Lok automated head clamp which helps to eliminate snipe and improves performance.
Overall this is a good brand benchtop planer and is a bit pricey as compared to others but worth it.
- Planer blade set (793346-8)2 ea.
- Magnetic Holder (762014-4)
- Socket wrench (782203-5)
- Hex wrench (783208-8)
- Key (415715-0)
- Detachable toolbox
- 15 AMP motor
- 120 Volts
- Max, no-load speed: 8500 RPM
- 2 Blades planer
- Cutting Width: 12 inch
- Cutting Thickness: 6-3/32 inch
- Cutting Depth: 1/8 inch
- Table Size (WxL): 12″ x 30-3/8″
- Interna-Lok automated head clamp
- Lightweight and compact
3. CRAFTSMAN Benchtop Planer, 15-Amp (CMEW320)
This 12 inch Benchtop Planer from CRAFTSMAN(CMEW320) is on the budget side and is fairly inexpensive as compared to other Planers but is decent enough to get the work done.
The 15 AMP motor inside provides enough power to 8000 RPM cutter head speed provides 16,000 cuts per minute and 2 High carbon steel, double-edged, reversible blades for both hard and soft wood stock removal.
The maximum depth of cut is 0.125 inches, cutting width is 12 inches.
This Craftsman benchtop planer is rated to be used with 110 Volts to 120 Volts.
- 15 Amp motor
- 12-inch width
- 8000 RPM
- 16,000 Cuts per minute
- Maximum Cut depth: 0.125
- Cutting Width: 12 Inch
- Blade type: High carbon steel, Double-edged, Reversible knives
- Great value and price.
- Easy to assemble and work with.
- Before using try to check if the blades are tightly placed to avoid possible snipe issues.
4. PORTER-CABLE Thickness Planer, 12-Inch (PC305TP)
Finally, the last recommendation on our list is from Porter cable.
Porter Cable 12-inch Thickness Planer (PC305TP) is a great valued tool to have.
The 120V Single phase 15 Amp motor has enough power to get the work done.
This Planer provides 8,000 RPM cutter head speed and provides powers of 16,000 cuts per minute with a fast 26.2 Ft/Min self-feeding rate.
Two steel Knives provide quality and strong work.
The planer belt is made from Poly V and has a cutter head drive with a rugged gearbox/chain with a sprocket feed roller drive for maximum power transfer and quality work.
- 15 Amp motor
- 120 Volt Single phase
- 8000 RPM
- 16,000 Cuts per minute
- 26.2 Ft/Min self-feeding rate
- Two High carbon steel made knives
- Poly V belt
- Great value and budget-friendly
- Great for casual work
- Can have a snipe issue but others seem satisfied with the product.