Planer is a necessary tool for woodworkers and for woodworking shops. It helps us to plane, smoothen the rough surfaces, and level the woods
Non-electric hand planers require force and hard work. But as technology advanced electric models were introduced that are high in productivity and require way less force than non-electric hand planers.
Here in this article, we put together 6 electric hand planers that are the best in the market.
Best Electric Hand Planer 2021
- Makita XPK01Z 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Cordless 3-1/4-Inch Planer, Tool Only
- PORTER-CABLE Hand Planer, 6-Amp, 5/64-Inch (PC60THP)
- Bosch 12V Max Planer (Bare Tool) GHO12V-08N
- WEN 6530 6-Amp Electric Hand Planer, 3-1/4-Inch
- DEWALT DCP580B 20V MAX Brushless Planer (Tool Only)
- Bosch PL1632 6.5 Amp Planer, 3-1/4″
Here are detailed specifications of each electric hand planer.
1. Makita XPK01Z 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Cordless 3-1/4-Inch Planer (Tool Only) (Best cordless electric hand planer)
This 18V Cordless Planer from Makita is a great tool to have in your arsenal.
Because of no wires, this planer provides ease of working and gets very handy in places where cordless planers are useful and electrical outlets are far away from the work environment.
Battery Potential: This model has an 18V Lithium-ion slide-type battery.
Power: This 7.4 lbs planer motor provides 14,000 RPM enough to do the job and can plane Up to 3-1/4″ wide and 5/64″ Deep in a Single Pass and Electric brake for maximum productivity.
The click depth adjustment knob attached to provides an easy-to-read scale and has settings from 0″ to 5/64″ for precise depth adjustments.
This planer is equipped with Star Protection Computer Controls™ to protect the planer against overloading, over-discharging, and overheating that can cause annoyance.
Note: The tool does not include battery and charger and needs to be purchased separately at the moment.
Battery Chargers: This planer uses batteries that can be charged with the “Makita DC18RC 18V LXT® Lithium-Ion Rapid Optimum Charger” The input for this charger is 120 VAC, 50-60 Hz and you can also use this charger MAKITA DC18RC Charger 7.2-18V Output 120V Input NEW.
For 220 VAC, you would need the “Makita DC18RC 30-minute Optimum 7.2-18V DC output; Rated 220-240V AC Wall Plug Lithium Charger“
Newer Model: Makita Tool Only (XPK02Z) is a newer cordless Version with Brush-less motor technology and is also capable of Auto-Start Wireless System (AWS™) capable.
Also, MAKITA-KP0800K is a more powerful corded planer with 6.5 Amp motor and 17,000 RPM. It’s a bit old model but it powerful one to have.
- 14,000 RPM motor
- Weight; 7.4 lbs
- Cordless and 18V Lithium-ion battery.
- Click depth adjustment knob scale with settings from 0″ – 5/64″
- Spring-loaded stand to protect the blades and workpiece.
- Aluminum base.
- Electric brake
- Can Plane Up-to 3-1/4″ in width and 5/64″ in Depth in one Pass.
2. PORTER-CABLE Hand Planer, 6-Amp, 5/64-Inch (PC60THP) (Best corded electric hand planer)
This 6 Amp corded electric hand planer is also a nice planer with decent enough power to get the job done at a decent price tag.
This electric planer has a dual side dust extraction that allows the user to collect the dust from either side this is a great addition in an electric planer and makes planning very easy and flexible.
The shoe is made from aluminum.
This planer has a max no-load speed of 16,500 RPM enough power to do the task smoothly.
The over-mold depth knob is equipped with 10 positive steps that allow better planer control and multiple depth control settings, along with 3 chamfering grooves for options on edge chamfering.
The 5/64″ depth of cut removes excess material in less time.
It can also provide .47″ max rabbit depth which removes more material per pass. Overall it’s a great tool great design and a decent price tag makes it on No. 2 on our list.
- 6 Amp motor
- 16,500 RPM
- 120 Voltage
- Rabbeting Depth: .47 Inch
- Depth of cut: 5/64 Inch
- 3 Chamfering Grooves
- Dual Side Dust Extraction
- 0.08-in depth of cut removes excess material
3. Bosch 12V Max Planer (Bare Tool) GHO12V-08N (2nd Best cordless electric hand planer under $200)
The Bosch GHO12V-08N 12V max planer is a great cordless, brush-less motor and powerful planer to have.
Due to being cordless it is easy to work with and is compact.
The design is great, fresh, and is easy to work with both hands.
With 14,500 RPM it provides a 2.2-inch Planing width and a single-pass planing depth of up to 0.08 inch.
As told by the manufacturer, because this is battery powered this planer can provide (Depends on certain situations) up to 33 ft. of planing per battery amp-hour (Ah) planing at 0.04-inch depth.
Also, this planer can create rabbets of up to 0.7 in. while the 2.2 in. planing width allows the planing of most wood door edges.
Overall a great cordless planer that provides enough portability and power to have the work done.
Note: This cordless planer battery Bosch 12V Max Lithium-Ion 6.0 Ah Battery GBA12V60 and charger is not included and is to be purchased separately.
Also, they included some items in the box at the moment that are a great deal because not many provide these included accessories.
- No Load RPM: 14,500
- Planting Depth 0” – 0.04” (1.0 mm) / 0”– 0.08” (2.0 mm)
- Planing Width 0” – 2.2” (56 mm)
- Weight 3.3 Lbs
- Reversible Bosch Woodrazor micro-grain carbide blades
- Battery Voltage 12V
4. WEN 6530 6-Amp Electric Hand Planer, 3-1/4-Inch (Best budget corded electric hand planer)
This 6 Amp Corded Electric Hand Planer provides speed up to 34,000 cuts per minute that are great for many projects.
16 positive stops adjust the cutting depth from 0 to 1/8 inches, cutting width is 3-1/4 and makes rabbets up to 1 inch in size with 5/6 Inch rabbeting guide.
Also included with the planer is the kickstand that protects the blade and the work-piece.
A dust bag is also included in this package which you can mount on either side.
This planer is very well in the budget for those who look to get the job done and for mostly DYI projects at a low price and a great value this is the hand planer to go with.
- 6 Amp Motor
- 34,000 cuts per minute
- Cutting depth from 0 to 1/8 Inches
- Cutting width 3-1/4
- Rabbets up to 1 inch in size with the 5/16 inch rabbeting guide
- Two direction dust chute
5. DeWalt DCP580B 20V MAX Brushless Planer (Tool Only) (Best Overall cordless electric brushless hand planer )
This 6.7 lbs DeWalt’s cordless electric hand planer is one of the finest products from DeWalt.
This electric hand planer has a Brushless motor that provides maximum efficiency, helps speed under heavy load and power of up-to 32,000 per cuts per minute (15,000 RPM).
This electric hand planer has a 3-1/4″ width capacity with 1/256″adjustments and a rebate capacity of 5/64″.
With 20V Max Lithium-ion battery system makes it easy to use without the hassle of wires and is easy to move anywhere.
This electric hand planer provides a calibrated depth adjustment knob to 5/64″ (2 mm approximately).
The aluminum shoe makes it easy to cut precisely and parallel.
The Poly-V belt makes it durable for longer use. Also, there is a kickstand to help you stand on surfaces and protects from the risk of damaging the materials.
Note: This electric planer battery and charger are sold separately. Only bare tools are provided at the moment. All of 20V Dewalt Batteries and chargers are interchangeable within the 20V DeWalt product line.
Here are the compatible items for DeWalt DCP580B.
- DEWALT DW6654 Reversible Carbide Blade Set (for DW677, DW678, and DW680K)
- OEM N447366 replacement Planer Blade DCP580B
- DEWALT OEM N455892 Replacement Planer Deflector DCP580B
- Weight: 6.7 Lbs
- Material: Metal and Plastic
- Cordless with 20V Lithium-Ion Battery
- 32,000 cuts per minute
- 15,000 RPM
- Calibrated depth adjustment knob to 5/64″ which is 2 mm approximately.
- Poly-V belt
- 3-1/4″ width capacity with 1/256″adjustments
- Rebate capacity of 5/64″
- Aluminum Shoe
This 6.5 Amp electric corded hand planer with 16,5000 RPM is a beast of a planer to have that can easily plane woods and do normal tasks required by a planer.
This planer belt is made with a Poly micro-V drive belt for enhanced belt durability.
The planing depth of this planer is 0″ to 1/16″ (1.5 mm) and the planing width is 0″ to 3-1/4″.
Also, the Rabbet width is 3-1/4″ and Rabbet depth is 5/16″. The Ratcheting depth knob is available for foolproof depth-increment setting from 0 to 1/16 In. within one revolution that eliminates the need to re-zero the depth.
Overall it’s a great powerful planer to have there are some complaints regarding this planer but most are happy with the purchase.
Note: Here are it’s some accessories.
- Adapter for 2-1/2 in. Vacuum Hoses VAC020
- Bosch VAC002 Airsweep Vacuum Hose Adapter
- Bosch PA1209 3-Degree No-Mar Overshoe for Dual-Mount Planer Guide Fence (Most are not pleased with this accessory)
- 6.5 Amp motor
- 16,500 RPM
- Planing depth: 0″ to 1/16″ (1.5 mm)
- Planing Width: 0″ to 3-1/4″
- Rabbet Depth: 5/16″
- Rabbet Width: 3-1/4″
- Voltage: 120V
- Blade Count: 1
If you prefer cordless electric hand planers then Makita XPK01Z 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Cordless 3-1/4-Inch Planer and Bosch 12V Max Planer (Bare Tool) are the best to have but if you are on a budget and want a normal task to be done then WEN 6530 6-Amp Electric Hand Planer, 3-1/4-Inch is a great option.